Retail/Consumer Chemical Labels for Canada (CCCR) vs. the United States (CPSC) – Things you need to know!

 In CCCR, Product Safety

By: Kirsten Alcock, Manager of Product Safety, email

When looking to sell your consumer/retail product within Canada or the United States, it is important to note that although we share the same border, there are many different requirements between our two countries.  Not only are there HUGE differences between the two countries for statement requirements, but the testing requirements can also differ depending on the physical state of the product itself.

Before we can help you with these regulations, you need to ask yourself some big questions that we will need to know in order to help you with your endeavor:

  • What is the intent of my product?

If you would like to make any claims on your label such as disinfecting/kill claims or sanitizing, there are special requirements for those products in Canada and the United States. If you are not making any claims and your product is hazardous,  then you would come under the Consumer Chemicals and Containers Regulations (CCCR) and the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

  • What is my intended packaging?

There are different requirements for testing between the two countries if you are selling a flammable aerosol. There is the potential for the product to be prohibited for sale in Canada based on the required aerosol testing within Canada. If you intend to sell your aerosol to Canada, you are REQUIRED to use the testing protocol as outlined by Health Canada.  Our lab is capable of testing for both Canada and the US.

  • Do you plan on having a label intended for both countries?

This can be very difficult to accomplish and below we will list some of the reasons why.

  1. Canada requires bilingual labeling whereas this is not required in the US. The requirement to have both official languages severely cuts back on your marketing space.
  2. Canada also does not classify chronic hazards such as carcinogens. This would put you at a disadvantage in the Canadian market.  Do you want to label your product as a carcinogen in Canada when it is not required?
  3. Canada and the US also have different toxicity endpoints. A product may be considered harmful if ingested in the US but not in Canada as our Oral LD50 threshold is much lower. Canada cuts off at 2000 mg/kg whereas the US cuts off at 5000 mg/kg. Many do not know of this difference.
  4. CRCs otherwise known as Child Resistant Containers.  The requirements differ between the countries. A product in Canada may require a CRC whereas in the US it does not and vice versa. Packaging with CRCs is VERY EXPENSIVE. Why waste your money on CRC packaging that is not required for one country over the other.

Contact us at Dell Tech. We can advise on the different requirements for your Consumer/Retail Label Requirements for CCCR and CPSC. Our in-house experts have the knowledge to help you comply with the current regulations and advise on what is coming down the line.

Don’t hesitate and contact us today.

Dell Tech
Kirsten Alcock, B.Sc. (Hons) 
Manager, Product Safety Group

Dell Tech has provided professional, confidential consulting services to the chemical specialty

industry in Canada, the USA, Europe, and Asia for the last 40 years.

Contact us today for more information.


Recommended Posts

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

amazon product safety amazon product compliancecomputer tool