Preservatives and Treated Articles in Canada
By: Joe McCarthy, Lab Service Manager/Senior Regulatory Affairs Specialist, email
Many everyday items (for example, household products, paints, detergents, cleaners, clothing, and plastic items including toys) have been treated with antimicrobial preservatives during the manufacturing stage, in order to protect the product and to extend its shelf-life. Treatment with a preservative allows the manufacturer to produce a longer-lasting product, which is a quality many consumers are looking for when making a purchase.
In Canada, preservatives are regulated as Pesticides under the Pest Control Products Act and managed by the Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA).
On March 8, 2021, the PMRA updated the Treated Articles Policy to clarify the regulations and registration requirements of Active Ingredients, Preservatives, and Products that contain preservatives.
- Articles that are treated to protect the article itself and extend shelf life do not require registration.
- Articles that contain or deliver the pesticide to protect a product or person such as treated packaging, insect repellant clothing, or antimicrobial surfaces do require registration.
- Articles Manufactured in Canada must use a preservative and active ingredient that are registered with the PMRA.
- Articles imported into Canada do not require the preservative to be registered in Canada, but the Active Ingredient must be registered in Canada for the same use and dosage that is in the treated article.
HOW DELL TECH CAN HELP:
- Determine whether your product needs to be registered or not.
- Determine if your preservative or active ingredient is registered.
- Determine if the preservative or active ingredient is registered in Canada for the same use as in your product.
- Advise on what is required to manufacture or import the treated article.
For further information on Treated Articles in Canada please review our presentation on Treated Articles.
Joe McCarthy, Senior Regulatory Affairs Specialist
Dell Tech has provided professional, confidential consulting services to the chemical specialty
industry in Canada, the USA, Europe, and Asia for the last 40 years.
Contact us today for more information.