Do I Need a Safe Food for Canadians (SFC) License for My Food Product?

 In Uncategorized

By: Joanna Chudyk, Regulatory Affairs Specialist, email

The Safe Food for Canadians Regulations were published in January 15, 2019, to complement Canada’s ongoing modernization initiatives in the food industry. These regulations are meant to improve food safety systems in place and there are requirements for individual food categories. Part of these regulations includes a requirement for select food businesses to hold a Safe Food for Canadians (SFC) License, which is valid for 2 years.

So how do you know if you must hold a SFC License? There are several food commodities that require a license. For the most part, the License is required for the following scenarios:

  1. Provincial or territorial regulations require you to obtain a license (commodities including dairy, eggs, fish, fresh fruits or vegetables, etc)
  2. Importing foods (excluding food additives, alcoholic beverages, or Schedule 1 foods)
  3. Exporting if you would like to receive an export certificate or another export permission such as being on an export eligibility list from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)
  4. Grading/packaging/labeling food for export or international trade

Of course, as with any regulation, there are exemptions to holding a license. Some examples include if you are importing food for personal use or if the food is carried on a conveyance and only to be used by the passengers. In these cases, you will be exempt from holding a license.

Do you need assistance in determining whether you are required to hold a SFC License? Contact Dell Tech today and let us help you become compliant with the food regulations in Canada.

Dell Tech
Joanna Chudyk, M. Sc. 
Regulatory Affairs Specialist

Dell Tech has provided professional, confidential consulting services to the chemical specialty

industry in Canada, the USA, Europe, and Asia for the last 40 years.

Contact us today for more information.

Recommended Posts