Natural Health Products (NHP) Plain Language Labeling
By: Jacqui Jenskey, Principal Regulatory Affairs Consultant, email
What is changing:
- Implementation of the Product Fact Tables (PFT)
- NHPs are currently required to list important information on the label, but the PFT brings a new standardized format of presenting information
- Revisions to existing formatting requirements
- This is intended to improve current legibility requirements by providing font size and type, and contrast restrictions
- New allergen labeling requirements
- Labelling of food allergens, gluten, sulphites, and aspartame
- Tamper evidence alignment under CUSMA
- The mandatory requirement for security seals will go away for Hand Sanitizers and other topical use NHPs. It remains for products that are ingestible, inhalable or insertable, mouthwashes and eye care products
- Modernized contact information for manufacturers or importers
- The change will replace the current requirement of a postal address with an e-mail address, telephone number, or website
NEW PRODUCTS: The specific parts of the regulation update that relates to PLL are subject to a three (3) year transition period after which all new products must comply (July 6, 2025).
EXISTING PRODUCTS: Implementation of PLL regulation changes for existing products need to take place on a schedule that will ensure full compliance to the level of retail within the next six (6) years. All existing products must comply (to the level of retail) by July 6, 2028.
The Regulatory Impact Analysis Statement (RIAS) suggests that Health Canada will be coordinating monograph updates with these new labelling requirements and simplifying warnings and precautions as part of the monograph review. The expected completion of all monographs is within the next three (3) years.
Let Dell tech help you navigate the new labelling requirements and ensure you remain in compliance with the new regulations.
Dell Tech Laboratories
Principal Regulatory Affairs Consultant
519-858-5021 x 2028
Joanna Chudyk, M. Sc.
Regulatory Affairs Specialist
Dell Tech has provided professional, confidential consulting services to the chemical specialty
industry in Canada, the USA, Europe, and Asia for the last 40 years.
Contact us today for more information.