Safety Program Development
Dell Tech performs comprehensive safety reviews and develops programs and plans for all of your business safety needs.
A safety program is an integral part of every business. Mitigating hazards and risks is a part of Occupational Health and Safety Legislation in North America.
Every Canadian business, regardless of size, has responsibilities under the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Act. Developing a result-based system can help your business achieve not only its safety goals, but also improve its efficiency for you, your employees, and your customers.
Recognizing the hazards and risks at your place of business will help to create a culture of safety. Even if you do not have a high-risk workplace, a health and safety program is required and corresponding policies should be in place.
Safety programs designed to mitigate risk in areas including, confined space, lockout tagout, designated substances, mobile equipment, and working from heights are legislated and high-risk — and hazardous and risky situations require control and mitigation.
In some cases, industrial hygiene testing is also part of a hazard control program and Dell Tech can help you with both testing and consulting services to comply with any required corrective actions.
Some of the types of testing we can help you with include:
- Volatile organic compounds
- Noise testing and dosimetry
- Indoor air quality
- Particulate matter
Examples of common hazards
- Long periods of sitting
- Chemical use
- Moving equipment
- Electrical hazards
- Mobile equipment
- Pedestrian safety
- Pinch points
- Eye strain
- Mental stress
- Struck by an object
- Confined spaces
- Lock out
- Hearing protection
Health & Safety Program Requirements
There are many different types of legislation and standards to consider, including the Environmental Protection Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, or the Canadian Standards Association (CSA).
In most cases, the following are required for an essential Health and Safety Program. Depending upon the specific needs of your business, there may be additional requirements:
- Health and Safety Policy
- Responsibilities of all in the workplace
- Allocating funds and identification of functional responsibilities, including policy writing
- Assessing physical demands for each job
- Safety considerations for purchasing
- Provisions for a safety representative or Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC) to be in place
- A plan to assess working conditions, including periodic inspections
- A plan to assess and control hazards
- A plan for provision and maintenance of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE)
- First aid requirements
- Safety communication
- Instruction and supervision that provides employees with information to protect themselves in the workplace
- Established standards to measure performance
HOW DELL TECH CAN HELP:
- Safety system audits, set up/start up, and gap analysis
- Workplace inspection programs and inspection training
- Lockout/tagout programs and procedures
- Behavior-based safety programs
- Pedestrian safety and traffic safety planning
- Hot work programs and procedures
- COR (Certificate of Recognition)
- Internal audits and readiness
- Confined space programs
- Safety policies and programs
- Custom training solutions
- Young worker programs and training