New California Prop 65 Warnings due in 6 months
By: Joe McCarthy, Laboratory Services Manager, email
On August 30, 2016, California Prop 65 (Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986) was updated to make significant changes to the “clear and reasonable” warning required under article 6 for products that contain a substance known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or reproductive harm.
The required changes for the product label include,
- A new symbol be used to preface the warning:
- The word WARNING be printed in bold capital letters.
- A link to the OEHHA Prop 65 website P65Warnings.ca.gov.
- Specific statements for the warning.
- Disclosure of ingredients that trigger warnings.
- Options for an “On Label Warning” or “On Package Warning”.
- Minimum font and symbol sizes.
The deadline for compliance with the new clear and reasonable warning statement is August 30, 2018.
When was the last time your formula was reviewed to determine if a Prop 65 warning is required?
Did you know there is another new California law, the California Cleaning Product Right to Know Act of 2017 that will require more information to be disclosed on the label in 2020?
Contact Dell Tech today to ensure that your labels are compliant with both California and the Federal Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Dell Tech has provided professional, confidential consulting services to the chemical specialty
industry in Canada, the USA, Europe, and Asia for the last 40 years.
Contact us today for more information.