Experts in Environmental Health And Safety
1. Presently there is no requirement for risk-based assessments to be done in the industrial sector, the proposal will add new requirements for hazard and risk-based assessments, these will require updating with any change or at least annually, the assessments will require written measures/controls in the sections of engineering, work practices, industrial hygiene, administrative, substitution and or proper protective equipment.
These changes will out the Industrial regulation more in line with other regulations under the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act such as the mining regulations. This shows a clear move to adopt a best practice similar to the International Standards such as OHSAS 18001 and ISO 45001.
Dell Tech can perform hazard and risk identification assessments for your business and production needs including recommended controls and written safety programs as well as machine guarding reviews in compliance with the CSA standard. The first step is hazard and risk identification and a customized program and compliance program can be created from this based on your business needs.
2. Traffic Management is also up for comment, the new requirements will include that where practicable, designated walkways be used to separate equipment traffic and pedestrian traffic and that clear signage be present, there will also be requirements in some cases for barriers and or safeguards to protect workers.
Dell Tech can help you create a plan for compliance with pedestrian safety in your business with realistic solutions to maintain compliance and perform updates as required, or at least annually.
3. Along with the traffic management changes above employers will be required to develop and maintain written traffic management programs to address the hazards from moving powered mobile equipment, the program will require annual review or more frequently if changes occur which could impact traffic management.
Dell Tech can help you create a plan for compliance with traffic safety in your business with realistic solutions to maintain compliance and perform updates as required, or at least annually.
4. H- visibility safety apparel will also be added to the industrial regulations in keeping with the requirements in the construction safety regulations. This will require that signallers wear CSA compliant hi vis apparel and that they will require arm and leg bands between sunset and sunrise.
Dell Tech can create a full proper protective equipment program based on job-specific tasks, with recommended PPE, types, cleaning requirements, training and annual and as require updates.
5. The requirements for eyewash and safety showers are also proposed to be amended to include the use of appropriate measures to protect a worker that can now include:
In the past, only eyewash and safety showers have been referenced.
Dell Tech can help you create a plan for compliance with eyewash and safety shower requirements in your business with realistic solutions to maintain compliance and perform updates as required, or at least annually.